So I have decided that Shelby hates diapers. YES it took me this long! Most kids don't like having a diaper changed... I agree. I have realized that with this child, covering the diaper will be a necessity! I was running late and wanted to change Shelby before getting Zack at school. Well, got her in a pretty dress and headed out the door. I was running late already. The sky opened up and poured water on me. I get to Zack's school and look all over my car for the umbrella I can't stand. WELL, it's now in Rick's truck. We had a horrible storm weekend before last and needed it. CRACK!
I dash out of the driver's side...Looking stunning in my wet WHITE SHIRT, and to Shelby's side of the car. I have the smelly spit cloth over my head while I undo her belts and grab her little warm body. In my head is a symphony of thoughts: what to eat for dinner, why I wore white, what the heck is that nasty feeling on my leg...oh it's my soaking pants, and then the famous...crap the other mother's all have the stupid umbrellas!
I noticed a Tahoe had pulled in behind me, the school is to the Northwest side of my car (driver's side). I get Shelby out of the tangle of belts and scoop her up onto my shoulder.
As I pulled her out...I still had the 800 things going on in my head. I noticed the mom at the back of my car getting something out of her passenger side... and saw her face.
She had this "OH HI...good to see you" look. It started pleasant and then I saw a look of "uh oh" on her face. The dress Shelby was wearing was covering her up...so I didn't notice anything. I put my arm under her BARE BUTT at the same time seeing the diaper she WAS wearing still in her car seat! She had pulled the diaper off and was still sitting on it. I wanted to cry, laugh and scream at the same time.
Tahoe mom shouted,"DON'T WORRY! Diaper covers don't work with mine either"
I didn't have the heart to tell her I didn't have a diaper cover on her (aka bloomers).
Well, I ran to the back of the car...laid Shelby down, and wrestled her like a greased monkey on a sugar fix! That child was wet from the rain... pissed because she was laying down...and more pissed because I was trying to re-diaper her naked butt! I couldn't help but laugh my butt off when I finally got the diaper on and with ONE swipe Shelby had un-done my 3 min long diapering. I was cracking up! I am sure it had to look funny as heck.
I started to run to the school with my Shelby under her blanket when a nice guy from the Church ran up and put his extra umbrella over me and Shelby. He was taking time out of his schedule to walk all the moms who needed help to their cars and to school. Now, just when you thought kindness had all but left us in the dust...this guy came to my rescue. Wonder if he does diapering too????
Wrapping up 2011
14 years ago



1 comment:
Maybe you should begin putting Shelby on the toilet. I started Kate on the toilet at nine months and a mom I used to work with started putting her daughters on at six months. Kate asked for underwear at 23 months of age. If she doesn't like diapers, give her an alternative. Don't force her to poop in a diaper if she doesn't want to - it could backfire in the long run. I started Kate on the toilet after nap time and first thing in the morning after she woke up. It is natural to pee at those times. It gives them the right idea and you can go from there.
Post a Comment