HOWDY!

Welcome to my family website!
What you read here is real life.
Sometimes it's not pretty but I will try to make it entertaining.

Friday, April 17, 2009

Bonding

I have been busting tush to get some bonding going on between Zack and Shelby. More then just the "well I have to love them, we are blood" type thing. I talked about Shelby LONG before she was born. He would talk to her by screaming at my belly button, or what was left. It was really sweet. I also make sure he know how important he is to us, and nothing can ever replace him. We show him pictures of him as a baby so he understands that this stage is temporary. That he needs to prepare and to teach her things.
So the last several months I have seen the fruit of my labor and countless subliminal messages taking seed!
If anyone tries to take Shelby away from him, he acts like life is over as he knows it. The nurse took her to weight her and I figured we would stay in the room. No point dragging a 3 year old and me all over. BAD IDEA, he screamed and collapsed onto the floor saying "NO NO Mommy Stop her, She is taking my Shelby... NO NO not my Shelby...That is my Shelby..STOP." The nurses outside of the room at the nurse station stood up to see what was going on. I guess they thought someone was being kidnapped. It was so sad, and so cute at the same time. You should have seen him when they did her earrings and shots. I had to hold him back with the stroller. I had my foot on the side of it blocking him so I could hold her with my hands. He didn't talk to me till we got out in the car. Then I was "In big trouble time out".
I thought maybe this was temporary and only with strangers. However, I was sadly mistaken. Woo-Woo Lady (Vicky) has been around Zack his whole life. She walked a little to far from his comfort zone before he grabs me and says, "Mommy stop her!!! She is taking Shelby... Mommy stop her. Mommy take Shelby". Even I wasn't allowed to take Shelby by myself into the store. I figured Daddy and Zack could wait in the car and I would take Shelby inside to grab the few items we needed. OH NO.... I got yelled at then to. "MOMMY, Shelby stay here with Zack. NO NO MOMMY COME BACK WITH SHELBY".

Well today I had to get work done around the house. Shelby was not happy to not be held or see me. I had to go into the kitchen and garage. Laundry and dishes!!!
Zack runs into the kitchen. "Mommy Shelby is scared from the rain and boobabaabooms (thunder)". I said, "She is, well go keep her company". He ran to her side and said/did the following:
Smiled and tried to make her laugh
"it's okay Shelby, you are safe, Zack is here"
"don't be scared Shelby, it's just rain and boobababoos"
"It's okay. I make you safe"
"Mommy I sing Itsy Bitsy Spider fo' her"

He sang that song about 10 times. She would laugh and laugh. He would stop...she would cry. So he would start again. This constant talking to her, making her safe, and singing to her carried on for about 20 min.

Tonight at bath time he couldn't wait to get in the tub with her. That is their "special" time. He pours water on her to get the soap off... then they splash each other and soak my whole bathroom. It frustrates me to have a soggy bathroom...because I don't like wet. However, I sit back, get soaked and cold... and smile the whole time.
What a blessing to see to smiling happy faces, that would be lost with out each other.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Becca - that is so cute and wonderful how much Zach loves her. That is the best a mom can hope for - that their kids love each other and look out for each other.