Today I went to get my hair cut at the mall... am I big time or what? Well I was in the salon with a lady in her late 40's (we will call her Jane) and I heard Jane talking about this being the roughest Christmas ever. She had moved down here for a job from MI and after a few months the company went bankrupt. Jane was left with out a job and knew NO one here. Jane didn't sound bitter... or scared or even worried. She just said, the "Lord will take care of it...it's in his hands". Well put I thought.
Well the lady cutting her hair (Debbie) said, well try at the customer service desk. I know they are really needing a manager bad. Jane said "Are you kidding??? That's what I moved down here for, to manage the Finger's Furniture store." She was so excited and I could see a look of relief on her face.
In a few seconds she was done and off to pay. I was still looking like a sick wet poodle going to get fixed! Let me tell you, when I said to cut it short... the lady too me WAY too serious! I thought she was going to shave my head like Britney Spears.
Anyway, I ran into Jane on the elevator... since they don't let strollers on the escalators, grrrr. I told her I had heard her delima and asked if she was okay. She said, "I am better then great, I got a job". She got the job on the spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, what a miracle huh.
Shelby and I walked around JC Penny's for a while... cuz I have that kind of cash (ha ha) and we were parked outside of it. I walked out and it had started to rain. I ran my butt off with the stroller, since Shelby was covered, only I could get wet. Hello!!! Just had my hair did...don't need the rain thank you!
I looked back and saw Jane with an umbrella. She was holding the umbrella over a little boy about about a year younger then Zack and she was leaning over him and a short women with an infant seat. Mind you, Jane was in the rain and the other 3 were actually under the umbrella. I was a little confused because she said she was in Houston by herself.
I watched a little longer, because Shelby was actually quiet.
Jane stood there till each person was in the car.... Well the driver got in on her side with the infant seat, and then squeezed it through the seats to put it in it's holder in the back. I saw them exchanged words... not sure what was said but I could see the side of the driver's face and she looked soooooo extreamly greatful. She had a sort of beaming about her. Like she was shocked, but so happy she couldn't hide it. Then I relized... this was a stranger. She did this for a complete stranger! I know people who wouldn't even do this for their own family!
Jane was totally soaked from her head to her toes. She was smiling, and seemed to just glow. Like the Angel on top of my tree. I thought, wow... if that isn't the spirt I don't know what is.
Guess what, Jane was parked right infront of me! Okay, the car next to the car in front of me...but you get the picture. How insane is that. I guess it's God's little way of saying, take care of others... as I take care of you.
It doesn't matter what you worship... every teaching in every religion has one common thread, Treat other's as you would have them treat you. I was lucky to bear witness to a random act of kindness that actual put me in the Christmas mood. Till this afternoon I was just going through the motions... I wasn't feeling the joy or the warmth. Only the panic of our current situation and the stress of trying to figure out how things will work out... but in a little over an hour and a half, God showed me (as always) that he will take care of things... in tiny unforseable ways.
One side note... I have to add. I was very depressed one day. Crying my eyes out to the point that I was heaving (you know that horrible breathing). My job was going south, my dreams were in the toilet...both my mom and step dad lost their jobs... I couldn't pay my bills and everything was just falling on me at one time. I was 21 and thought my life was over. I was at a red light sobbing and sobbing... so thankful for the fact the light had turned red so I didn't have to drive threw the tears. I have NO idea how I did that. I remember my sunglasses kept steaming up and I would take them off to wipe them...drive and cry more!
I heard a honk....then anouther honk....then a louder honk. I thought Damn dude the light is freaking red!!! LEAVE me alone! I looked over to see someone waiving at me with the window down. I rolled down my window and the guy said, "Hello, I am pastor at Second Baptist Church. I can see you are hurting and you don't know me, and I know I don't know your troubles...but can I buy you a cup of coffee and we can talk it over. I would love to listen." I politly said, "no thank you, but your a life saver." He had no idea how serious I was. That was a turning point in my life. I knew what I needed, and I ran to it.
A few years ago, a song came out that reminds me of that day. I am attaching it here. I thought it was soooooooooo creepy the first time I heard it. Like someone had seen that private moment...my break down. I guess sometimes you have to break down, to break free.
Wrapping up 2011
14 years ago



4 comments:
This is a great story. Thanks so much for sharing.
I never knew you had times like that - I wish I had known sooner. I had some similar times in my early 20s - I remember one particular night I was just so sad and sobbing. Dad was living in Cleveland at the time and I called him to talk. His advice - "go see a shrink". Not his exact words but you get the idea. I think many of us go thru things like this but we don't share enough with others. I know I always thought I was the only one who felt upset or sad - I thought there was something wrong with me.
Great story about Jane too - very cool!
Yeah it was a rough rough time... and go see a shrink is NOT the best advice to give someone. Sometimes you just need anouther human to slow down for a second and just sit and listen. No comments...nothing. Just sit and listen. I ended up bawling my eyes out today because Zack's jacket was taken from Mother's day out. I am sure it was an accident, but we don't have it...and it's cold. We just don't have the money to go and buy him a nice jacket like he had. SO, I have to run to a resale shop or somewhere tomorrow and get him one. I was sooo sad. I think it was the thought that I can't afford to buy my child a jacket that got me bawling. I know... dramatic huh!
OH and I have no idea what "jane's" real name is. I thought she said Jessy, but I really wasn't paying attention.
Post a Comment