For those non-mom's out there... TAKE MY WARNING SERIOUSLY.... There is NO such thing as "terrible two". It should be renamed to Toddler Tantrums. From the moment they can walk (or stumble around) they seem to think that our roll as adults on this plant is so wait on them hand and foot. NO ONE TELLS YOU THIS.
At 18 months my mild manner, sweet, hugging, kissing, "thank you" saying child turned into Chucky! One second he lovingly asks for juice, and the next he is screaming at you and crying because he doesn't want juice.
I read an article that summed it all up in the title: "I love peaches (12:01 p.m.), I HATE peaches (12:03 p.m.)". At the time I thought it was funny. Not so much anymore. Zack will ask me for "Chicken Pork" code word for Hot Dog, and then the next I have a partially chewed ketchup covered piece of dog flying at me. While he debates dumping the plate on the floor or maybe just throwing more food... He is screaming, " no no no no no Chicken Pork... I yike "Mommy Sandwich" (BP&J)". A fellow mommy friend of mine called me in the middle of the day on a Wednesday. Talking threw her teeth she said " SOMEONE CALL A PRIEST, This child is going to need last rights".
Now I know there are those "expert" ex-toddler moms and people without kids that say... Why don't you do this, or that worked on little Bobby. My favorite has to be from non-parents: I would NEVER allow that. OH YES YOU WILL! You would be surprised at how quickly your view of the world, your own upbringing, and your child will change. Like Martha says, "it's a good thing". Zack is not being raised 100% the way I was or the way Ricardo was raised. We have to find what works for him. A new recruit to the world of mommy must learn to walk the mine traps of their own child!!!!! DON'T put stock into what doctors say. We even changed doctor's when Zack was little because he didn't believe me. I knew something was wrong. I knew he was in pain. I was told it was normal, and to give him tough love! Basically swaddle him, put him into his crib and let him scream it out. HELLO, he is 2 weeks old! Finally after spitting up bloody milk, they send us rushing to TCH emergency room. After a quick exam we found out he had GERD.
That brings me to my long drawn out point. For months, nearing a year, I have tried different professional advice on how to deal with Zachary's tantrums, mood swings, and quirks. What worked best is what I thought would. I use a combo of tactics. Like any good General, I have to be consistent and firm. I needed to adjust my own attitude.
I was asked, by a mom that I respect, why Zack was so good when we went out to eat. I wanted to cry I was so proud of him. IF SHE ONLY KNEW! When the time came to leave our play date, Zack threw himself on the ground. He was screaming and thrashing for everyone to see. You know what, she saw that he was a normal toddler... and no matter how embarrassed I was, I am still proud God made him mine.
At 18 months my mild manner, sweet, hugging, kissing, "thank you" saying child turned into Chucky! One second he lovingly asks for juice, and the next he is screaming at you and crying because he doesn't want juice.
I read an article that summed it all up in the title: "I love peaches (12:01 p.m.), I HATE peaches (12:03 p.m.)". At the time I thought it was funny. Not so much anymore. Zack will ask me for "Chicken Pork" code word for Hot Dog, and then the next I have a partially chewed ketchup covered piece of dog flying at me. While he debates dumping the plate on the floor or maybe just throwing more food... He is screaming, " no no no no no Chicken Pork... I yike "Mommy Sandwich" (BP&J)". A fellow mommy friend of mine called me in the middle of the day on a Wednesday. Talking threw her teeth she said " SOMEONE CALL A PRIEST, This child is going to need last rights".
Now I know there are those "expert" ex-toddler moms and people without kids that say... Why don't you do this, or that worked on little Bobby. My favorite has to be from non-parents: I would NEVER allow that. OH YES YOU WILL! You would be surprised at how quickly your view of the world, your own upbringing, and your child will change. Like Martha says, "it's a good thing". Zack is not being raised 100% the way I was or the way Ricardo was raised. We have to find what works for him. A new recruit to the world of mommy must learn to walk the mine traps of their own child!!!!! DON'T put stock into what doctors say. We even changed doctor's when Zack was little because he didn't believe me. I knew something was wrong. I knew he was in pain. I was told it was normal, and to give him tough love! Basically swaddle him, put him into his crib and let him scream it out. HELLO, he is 2 weeks old! Finally after spitting up bloody milk, they send us rushing to TCH emergency room. After a quick exam we found out he had GERD.
That brings me to my long drawn out point. For months, nearing a year, I have tried different professional advice on how to deal with Zachary's tantrums, mood swings, and quirks. What worked best is what I thought would. I use a combo of tactics. Like any good General, I have to be consistent and firm. I needed to adjust my own attitude.
I was asked, by a mom that I respect, why Zack was so good when we went out to eat. I wanted to cry I was so proud of him. IF SHE ONLY KNEW! When the time came to leave our play date, Zack threw himself on the ground. He was screaming and thrashing for everyone to see. You know what, she saw that he was a normal toddler... and no matter how embarrassed I was, I am still proud God made him mine.



No comments:
Post a Comment