HOWDY!

Welcome to my family website!
What you read here is real life.
Sometimes it's not pretty but I will try to make it entertaining.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Flip-flops and wooden spoons

I know... strange title!!! However, I have a serious fear of flip-flops and wooden spoons!!!

I've been thinking about this for a long long time. A LONG time!!!! I have been building up my courage to get in trouble (maybe) with my mother.

Many new moms I meet, especially in my "mommy meet up" groups, have brought this topic up a lot. These mom's debated and criticized each other's way of dealing with a child that was out of line.

NEW Moms this one line is for you... scare the crap out of your kids very young so that later on they will still fear you!
It's called the "MOM LOOK OF TERROR". Pretty much anyone that reads this is old enough to remember what a spanking was. Well it only took a few before you noticed that look creeping across your mom's face. Then it was damage control time.... or time to see if you can really still outrun her. Although by running your spanking was much worse.

OLD Moms this is for you... DON'T feel guilty for disciplining your older/adult child. Sometimes we NEED to be put back in our place. You gave up years of your life, your personal freedom, some of your dreams and typically your body for these kids... don't feel guilty at all for demanding common courtesy. Like my mother did to me during Hurricane Ike. I forgot how scary that woman can be!!! My mother about came through the phone and strangled me. I will never forget my sister's face when I was being a little brazen with my mother on the phone. Her eyes were about the size of the moon when she realized it was our mom. For the first time in 29 years my mother was so angry at me she actually said " I am done talking to you" and click. The phone went dead. OH my lord I was terrified she was going to find me!!!!!!

I asked my mother today, what she would do if I were to ever disrespect her the way a lot of kids do their parents today. Even though I am an adult, she flat out told me " I would beat the shit out of you".
Was I shocked at the answer?? NO! I knew it already. The woman would actually drive up to my house...beat the crap out of me, make me clean up the mess, and then drive back home! I still LOVE her, but I do have a healthy fear of her!

Guess what, your kids are NOT going to like you... fairly often. It doesn't matter, they have NO right to ever disrespect you.
As a matter of fact I am sure that Zack hates me at least 3 days out of 7 days. That is okay. I don't care if he is 3 or 33...or 63. I will beat his butt all the same. I may have to get out of my wheelchair and whack him with a stick, but he will respect me. He may not talk to me for months...but he will know where he and I stand. I am the mother... he is my son!
OKAY SO ON TO THE REASON FOR THE TITLE... sorry side tracked!
My mother reminded me of a story today:

My mother was on the phone, I was about 3 or almost 4, I kept bugging her and bugging her. Now we had a rule in our house. When adults talk, kids don't!
Like a little gnat I kept buzzing around her legs. Now she had warned me once... and that was all she felt I needed before punishment. My mother bent down and looked at me with that "mom" look.... calm as can be she mouths something to me, but I didn't wait long enough to read lips... I RAN AS FAST AS MY BUTT WOULD MOVE!!!! Next thing I felt was a shoe hitting me! She had bent down, took her shoe off and launched it at me..... AWESOME HUH! I don't think I ever did that again. OH and once she was on the phone with my crazy biological father and I stapled my finger... I waited till she was off the phone before I walked over with a staple sticking right through my finger. Hell no, I wasn't going to interrupt her phone call!
Now that explains the flip-flop.

The wooden spoon incident happened when I was fighting with Anna. Anna was probably about 12 and I was 4. We kept at each other... it was getting ugly. My mother was cooking and we went in there expecting her to solve our issues and to take a side. Instead, my mother whacked both of us with a hot wooden spoon she had been using to stir pasta!! HURT LIKE HELL!!!!!!! To this day I NEVER ask my mom to take a side and I would never be brave enough to take a grievance with Anna to my mother. Ask my mom about any of her unusual punishments and she will take you down memory lane like it's a trophy room!!! She had some of the strangest sayings.... and damn she would put the fear of God in me... and still does.

My best friend Jamie said it best, they need to see a little crazy from time to time... It keeps them in line! LOVE you Jamie!!!!! You're the bestest mom ever!












2 comments:

Patricia said...

My parents never hit me and I don't think it is necessary at all. How can you teach your children not to hit other children or the dog or you, if you are hitting them. It doesn't make sense. Children learn from our actions much more than our words. "What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you are saying." - forget who said this originally. There is a world of difference between respect and fear. I don't ever want Kate to fear me; respect me, yes. As kids grow older, it should be mutual respect. I expect Kate to do what I tell her but I don't make unreasonable requests. Sometimes I think parents expect too much from a child who is really too young to understand. Besides, Todd and I have both noticed that if we get angry, it only makes the situation worse. If we remain calm, Kate does to.

Beccaboo and family too said...

Totally agree. WE don't do spankings in our house at all. We do time out and the Whine room. When he gets starts whinning and getting "upset" we put him in his room. When he has calmed down he comes out on his own.
Funny thing is, he told us he was "taking a made timeout" and went and stood in the hallway. All by himself. it's amazing what they figure out.
I thought the stories were funny... especially since you know my mom.