Well, I thought long and hard about posting this... and then I would chicken out. How many people read this really... so I am being brave. Most of you know about my Biological father and how crazy he was. If you know me really well you know about my childhood. That is something I will not get into here yet. I am not ready for that box to be opened. My childhood was the number one reason I chose to stay home with my kids and has molded my character. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but I am glad it happened. It molded my character. God will not take you where Grace can't reach you.
Okay now to the point:
I have had issues on and off my whole life. Most of them I hid very well. Even from my husband and my doctor. Finally after 2 babies it all caught up with me. Friday August 29th I was finally confronted by what I had always suspect but was afraid to admit to anyone. I was diagnosed as BIPOLAR II ( http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/guide/bipolar-disorder-forms ).
It's a much milder form of Bipolar but still has it's symptoms that are not pleasant. For those of you that have seen my "dark side"... now I, and hopefully you, know I wasn't purposely trying to be a B*$(# all the time. The days, weeks and months following the birth of both children triggered extreme hormone changes which put my poor brain into a tailspin.
I went days with out caring to shower, eat, sleep, drink or even talk to anyone. I hid it as well as I could by as usual my husband called me out on it a lot. Thank God for him and his love. He is the reason I was finally strong enough to pick the phone up and call a doctor. It is also Ricardo and his mother (Awilda) that have made me feel okay about being diagnosed with a mental disorder.
You see people have this sigma about mental disorders. I still do even after being told I have one myself. Then I think, well it's a disease just like anything else. People who have diabetes take insulin. People with heart conditions watch their diet and take heart pills. Well I have a problem with my brain, so I will have to stay in therapy and take my meds. When I heard Bipolar I have to admit I was a little sick to my stomach. I thought of Joan Crawford in Mommy Dearest. Thank God we don't have wire hangers in the house! Just kidding. The doctor told me that most people in the world live day to day with it and have no idea they have it. It's misdiagnosed as depression. They give Zoloft or some other anti-depressant with serotonin and then BAM BAM BAM, the person is thrown onto a roller coaster. For some reason someone with Bipolar disorder can NOT take any serotonin medications with out being on a mood stabilizer like Lithium or what ever drug they put me on (can't remember the name). It causes severe ups and downs... and people like me end up having HORRIBLE panic attacks.
So ask me in 3-4 weeks how I am feeling. It's supposed to take that long to get into my system and to up my dose.
I also know that there are a few people close to me that have it (you know who you are)... GET HELP NOW. You don't have to live like this anymore... it's not normal to feel that way. I thought it was. I know the highs are AWESOME and you will miss them but don't the lows suck enough to get help?
TAKE THIS QUIZ: http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/bipolarquiz.htm
Just takes a few seconds. I did this a few years ago but didn't believe it.
Wrapping up 2011
14 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment