HOWDY!

Welcome to my family website!
What you read here is real life.
Sometimes it's not pretty but I will try to make it entertaining.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

GERD a 4 letter word!

Well everything was wonderful. You bring a new born home... they sleep, eat, poop, sleep eat poop... RIGHT??? NO! I was robbed twice of the newborn joy by a four letter word....GERD! Yes, Shelby has full blown GERD. I kept my stress low, I had a natural birth and did just about everything different with this pregnancy then with Zacks. Now I just want to fast forward the next 6 months. When she is awake she is crying. We go on 2-3 hour spurts of screaming. The kind that no matter what you do, they scream.
For the old school peeps out there, NO it's not colic. Colic just means "pain that can't be explained". Doctor's actually use this instead of saying "I don't know". Trust me, my doctor is the one that let me in on that secret.
We tried Zantac for a week and it didn't get any better and now we are on Prevacid and Soy milk. The same as with Zack. It isn't as bad as Zack's was right yet. I find myself waiting for the next screaming fit... from both kids. One from the terrible two's and the other from the 1 month old. We thought since at 2 weeks we didn't see any symptoms we were going to be "normal" parents. Well at almost 3 weeks old I awoke to hear the first warning sign. Gagging and gasping for air. There it was... acid was backing into the lungs.
I spent the entire day crying. I didn't change my clothing... I didn't brush my hair or teeth. Poor Zack suffered the most. He couldn't figure out why I was crying. I just couldn't stop. I knew the next several months would be filled with screaming. It's not a normal scream either. It's a high pitch screech. If you ever want a sample, take a needle and prick you child's finger or toe.
I know it's hard to understand for those who never had to deal with this. Who's child is generally happy and cries when they are hungry or dirty, but this is hell. Basically when they are awake they are screaming. When you finally get them to sleep, they spend hours squirming and making terrible sounds. So, you don't get good sleep even when they do.
Shelby is moving to her room tonight. I kept Zack in our room til he was 4 months old, but I can't do it again. I have to keep my sanity.
I know I know I know... it could be worse. I could have a "special needs' child. I am blessed and honored that God gave me this child. She was meant for me and is the way she is for a reason. I know God does take you where grace can not reach you...but does he have to love and trust me so much!!!!!!
I have been lucky with her because I can "wear" her. I got a really neat wrap that I can use to keep her on me. Not like Zack's newborn days of holding him and doing everything with one arm. I have the "Tucker Sling" for her to sleep in and I know the tricks of keeping them upright for feedings (plus 30 min after).
I know these days will be over sooner then I can imagine... but it's hard to see the sun when your in the middle of the storm. I hardly remember the day to day dealings with Zack's GERD, but then again I was at work and got breaks from the screaming. I have to find joy in what I can. Like watching her sleep and holding her sweet little face. I need the love of my friends and family to keep me going. I may push away but I really do need the hug. Sorry this is a negitive posting, but I am allowed to vent... right?

No comments: