We should make it mandatory for schools to show the Cosby Show. Every tool you could ever use in life, can be found in a Cosby episode. I didn't realize it till today. I was thinking of a way to deal with a situation with Zack... and it popped in my head.... "Well on that episode of The Cosby's were little Rudy was caught lying". I shook my head and thought, there is NO way I am using Dr. Huckstable's parenting advice... am I? Maybe we all should be!
They used humor, self learned lessons, tough love, respect, self discipline to raise those kids. You saw mushy love between the parents, but you also saw them disagree. Mom always one though... JUST LIKE IN REAL LIFE...right!
They would come up with some of the most interesting punishments. I loved the way they talked to their kids. They didn't talk down to them, or treat them like they were dumb. I know when I was a teenager, I didn't know everything about the world. I don't think I do now.
Families have such a hard time communication. They want to just say "this is the way it is" and the kids go "OH OKAY". No talking back.. no arguing... just compliance. I don't want that kid. Nope, because that is a child that will never leave my house, never aspire to anything and will fail at the job called life. The Huckstable children often questioned authority, but they did it in a very respectful way. There were times that they would cross a line, but quickly were put back into it. The family respected each person's personality. You know this one is more sensitive, and you know this one is more messy. It is what it is. The kids would fight and there were missed holidays, misunderstandings and miss directed anger. That is life... REAL LIFE.
The family changed and grew...and time brought new struggles. However, each person met the new wave with their own strength opinion. They got over themselves, they got past the problems and they did it all together. That is a family.
I wanted the Norman Rockwell picture of a family. One were everyone has their needs meet, they are all happy and content, no fighting. You know the family that stops every thing to get together for dinner, holidays and birthdays even if everyone is miserable. No thank you, I want the Huckstable life.
I want so much to have a family. I didn't have one at all growing up. It was sad and lonely. So I tried to overcompensate. I wanted things to be perfect... and they aren't. I made some mistakes trying to do too much. Family is not an obligation and should not be treated as debt. Again, I can say first hand and from my own heart that I said things I shouldn't have, did things I shouldn't have and tried to do more then I should have. It stops here and now... for I am armed with the knowledge that is Cosby. hahahaahha! Okay well I am not that crazy, but you know what I mean.
I know, I know... someone out there has to be thinking, Oh lord she is going to model her family after a tv show. Nope, not saying that at all. Just saying I want a more simple life and a more calm future. I know that my kids are going to challenge me...they are going to question me and things are not going to go the way I planned... and it's okay. I know things with extended family are not going to be smooth as Jif peanut butter, and that is okay. I can't fix everything or chase after people. My family is sleeping tight in this house right now. I couldn't be more happy to be in my own sitcom "The LDV's". All 3 of them snore, and 2 of them drool! Just an FYI!
Wrapping up 2011
14 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment