HOWDY!

Welcome to my family website!
What you read here is real life.
Sometimes it's not pretty but I will try to make it entertaining.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Welcome Miss Shelby!

Once in a room I hooked up to a monitor. The last dang thing I wanted. I was having very small contractions and had no idea. They weren't very strong and were pretty far apart. SO, Doctor Romero requested Potocin! I started getting upset and the nurse saw. She said "listen, if your contractions come quicker in the next 30min. I will call Dr. Romero and talk her out of it. However, I can only stall the pharmacy so long so you have only 30 min."

I tried everything... the ball, rocking and walking as much as I could with the monitor. She checked me and I was only a little bit more consistent on the contractions. SO, she had to hook me up to the potocin. Anyone who has ever been induced knows the PAIN that comes with potocin. It takes your contractions and doubles them. SO you are in so much pain that Lamaze and Bradford breathing makes no difference. I waited as long as I could and I finally asked for an epidural around 6cm. (7pm). I was crying by this point and begging God for some relief. I thought poor Rick was going to loose it. He sent Jamie looking for the nurse because he thought the doctor was taking too long to get to our room. Jamie was so good about keeping him calm!

Well finally the doctor got there with my drugs. AHHHHHHHHHHHH, relief! Well relief till shift change. The nurse that came in after my first nurse was HORRIBLE. We will call her "C". I had finally started to relax a little from the medication when this ITCH walks in. She forced me to put on an oxygen mask. I asked her what it was for and she said " you are aware of the complications from Vbac's aren't you". I said, "Well just uterine rupture". "JUST UTERINE RUPTURE, JUST UTERINE RUPTURE... do you know how serious that is. It can kill both of you." That was all it took to throw me into a bad panic attack. I started crying none stop. Zack and I had a bad day and now that will be the memory he is left with and I will be dead! Great!
Once Jamie and Rick calmed me back down, we started having a better time.
"C" walked into the room again and I was talking about how much I love Dr. Romero. She said "yeah Dr. Romero is a very... well...um.... relaxed person. She is very laid back... that is how Puerto Rican's are." I said "Really... because that is where my husband is from". She had an OH crap look on her face and said "OH, really... I was just there it was very beautiful".
Next she started saying how I should feel lucky that Dr. Romero not only allowed me potocin but also and epidural. She claimed most doctor's only do one or the other due to the serious nature of a VBAC. Again, the panic sets in!
Around 9:00 they checked my cervix and I was 8cm. They shut off my epidural so I could feel enough to push! Hello, I could feel plenty with it on. I had pain in the correct area and I was trying to convince the nurse I could feel it. SO, come 10pm Dr. Romero wanted me to start pushing. I pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed. I was HURTING. I told them I could feel my toes... my legs... everything. I had no idea at this point they had shut my epidural off totally.
I could tell they were getting worried. They brought out a mirror to help me focus my pushing. I could see Shelby's head when I pushed really hard. I had Jamie on one side and Rick on the other counting. I started to tune everyone out because I was getting upset. I was hurting so bad I thought something was wrong. Dr. Romero reached all the way as far as she could and said that Shelby was still turned. Basically she was stuck... my worse fear. I had to push extra hard to turn her head... SO, we tried a few more things.
Next thing I know I have scrub nurses in my room. I can see an team of people standing around me. OH SHIT.... They want to take her out by C-section!!!!! I pushed so hard I thought something would pop! I just beared down as hard as I could and I heard Dr. Romero say... OH there you go, that's it... that's it... Here she comes.
I was screaming by this point. I was hurting so bad... her head was coming out the wrong way... and I was pushing with every single ounce of energy I had left after 2 hours!!! Finally she said here she is... don't stop...you can't stop Rebecca... PUSH! I said I can't I can't... I just needed to rest. She firmly tells Rick and Jamie to get out of the way and has 2 of the scrub nurses come beside me. They pick my legs up and force them to my chest. I am in so much pain right now I think SCREW THIS... I am going to push no matter what I feel breaking.
Out she pop, and I tore!
Dr. Romero cut the cord and blood went everywhere!! I mean everywhere. On the walls. On the nurses... on me! They rushed Shelby over to the side where a special nurse was standing. They start trying to get her to respond and to breath. She had been under so much stress with the way she was inside and how long she was in the birth canal. So they had a lot of work trying to get her going all the way. Once they wiped her off and got her to start breathing better they handed her to me. It was worth it. 2 hours of hard pushing and she was hear from heaven!

I DID IT... I DID IT... I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I held that beautiful little face in my arms for as long as I could! I was in heaven!

1 comment:

abuelacool said...

Dear Reb.

Has anybody ever told you you are a natural writer? Loved your "relatos", especially the one about the birth experience. You should definitely consider a writing career. Take it from a Spanish teacher and avid reader who has always belonged to reading clubs.

Congrats to you and Ricardo on the birth of your daughter.

Love.

Tití Zulma

P.S. My 1st was Carlos. I was in labor from 11am to 2am next day. I had potosin with both. Carlos was 9.4 lbs., Ivan 8.12. That´s why they call it LABOR, child.